Friday, May 24, 2013

Quick Pickled Jalapenos and Radishes



Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. 
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, 
Where's the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?

I say that nursery rhyme in my head every time I think of pickled peppers. If only I could remember most other things that well and for as long. Anyway, I stumbled on a pound of Jalapeno peppers for a $1 yesterday and wanted to attempt to make some pickled jalapeno peppers. I thought it would be fun to top some burgers or hot dogs with these little babies for a Memorial Day BBQ.  

I searched the Internet for 'pickled jalapenos' and this super quick and easy recipe popped up from allrecipes.com  I also had some radishes in my fridge and decided to add these too and see how they turned out. I told myself that if they were good enough, I would blog about them. They turned out great and they were super delicious and very spicy! But I like spicy. 

The video on allrecipes.com suggested to rinse your cut jalapenos in cool water to help remove some of the seeds to help lower the heat.  If you didn't know already, the hottest parts of peppers, comes from the seeds and the ribs holding the seeds. So if you are wanting to reduce the hotness of peppers in this and other preparations, do remove the ribs and seeds. (I skipped this step in my preparation of this recipe)

I like this recipe because it's easy and it's intended to make a small amount to be used in a short amount of time. You can prepare and serve them in a matter of hours rather than in days as in traditional canning methods for pickling vegetables. Store them in your refrigerator for up to three months*. (*I'd previously stated that you could only store these in your fridge for about a week, but I have since been doing more research on quick pickling and these pickles will keep in your refrigerator for up to three months.) 

Here is a picture of my breakfast this morning using the peppers I pickled. Pretty perfect. The radishes were terrific too, surprisingly delicate and flavorful, you pick up the notes of oregano well in the radishes. Pickled radishes are my new favorite discovery and I plan on pickling them again so I can experiment with dishes to incorporate these bad boys. :) 




Quick Pickled Jalapenos and Radishes (recipe from allrecipes.com)
(Makes 2- 8oz jars)


3/4 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
3 T granulated sugar
1 T kosher salt (I used canning salt)
1 clove garlic (I used 2 garlic cloves)
1/2 t Mexican oregano
10 large Jalapenos, sliced into rings
5 radishes, sliced into rounds (I added radishes to the mix as well)

Add water, vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and oregano in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add Jalapenos and radishes to pot with vinegar mixture and remove from heat. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.


Use tongs to transfer peppers and radishes into 2-8oz jars. Top off each jar with remaining vinegar mixture. Place lids tightly and refrigerate.

These are only quick pickled peppers and radishes and can be used immediately and/or stored in your refrigerator for up to three months. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment