Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Mummified Meatloaf

When I plan for Halloween, I jot down my ideas in a notebook. Throughout the year, I scribble ideas for recipes, how to plate it, how to photograph it, and I draw out rough sketches of decorating vignettes. Planning is serious business for me. :) As I looked through my notebook of Halloween ideas, I came across my note to make this way cool meatloaf. I saw this idea on Pinterest last year right AFTER Halloween. So you can imagine, I've been waiting a long time to make this ghoulish guy.

Part of the fun of making these Halloween themed foods is making them look festive, and this Mummified Meatloaf is certainly festive, but most importantly, it still has to taste good. The image on Pinterest didn't include a recipe, so it freed me to use my Mom's go-to meatloaf recipe. This recipe is easy, delicious, and my kids love it! That alone is a reason to make it, in my house. I think my kiddos like the barbecue sauce in it. My mom's recipe calls for adding Chris and Pitt's Hickory barbecue sauce to the meat and the top. I add extra sauce to the top, so as it cooks, the sauce gets browned and the sugar in the sauce caramelizes, which is super yummy. In this version, the bacon does the browning and crisping up which knocks this simple meatloaf up a few notches! 
Imagine this Mummified Meatloaf served along side Roasted Fingers and Toes and a "Beet"ing Hearts Salad with a Blood Red Vinaigrette for a super fun, festive and delicious Halloween Dinner! And for dessert, try these decadent Black Velvet Cream Cakes. Happy Halloween!



Mummified Meatloaf (aka: Mom's Meatloaf)
Serves 4-6

2 lbs 7% lean ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper
garlic powder
2 eggs
1 cup Chris and Pitt's Hickory BBQ sauce
3 slices of bacon
1/2 small onion, cut up

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, garlic powder, eggs and Chris and Pitt's barbecue sauce until well combined. Shape meat into a head-shaped oval and transfer meatloaf to a large baking dish. Cut up onion into small pieces that can be used to make the eyes and teeth of the mummy. Insert the onion pieces into the meatloaf. Brush outside of meatloaf with more BBQ sauce. Then wrap the bacon around the meatloaf to mimic mummy wraps. Brush on another coat of Chris and Pitt's BBQ sauce and pop it into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!




















Other Halloween recipes to try:
Pickled Shrunken Heads
Amputated Appetizer

2 comments:

  1. looks good! I am going to make it for this Sat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let me know how it turns out. Happy Halloween Jessica!

      Delete